Israel launches Image Campaign "Pressfriendly" ?


Thema
abonnieren
Beiträge: 3
Zugriffe: 454 / Heute: 1
Stox Dude:

Israel launches Image Campaign "Pressfriendly" ?

 
25.04.02 12:12
JERUSALEM – As Israel embarks on an openly declared war against "terrorist infrastructure" in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, it is making it difficult for the world to know what the Palestinians or the Israelis are doing.
For the fourth straight day, the city of Ramallah, which troops took over Friday, was closed off yesterday by Israeli authorities, who cite not only concerns about journalists' safety, but also a need for image management.

"In America's war in Afghanistan, none of us saw even one civilian killed," says Arye Mekel, a foreign ministry spokesman. "Can we imagine that no one was killed? The bottom line is this. You only saw remote pictures."

Journalists are also being thwarted on the Palestinian side. In Bethlehem yesterday, gunmen confiscated film from Reuters television after they had dragged a suspected collaborator through the streets and then shot him dead in a car park. "We will hold you personally responsible if these pictures appear," they said.

The difficulties come as the 18-month Israeli-Palestinian confrontation moves to a climax with daily Palestinian bombing attacks in Israel and the call-up of Israeli reservists for a major military push.

During this decisive period, strictures on the media, as well as mounting danger faced by journalists, promise to significantly curtail the flow of information for shaping opinion and making policy decisions. And, according to Aviv Lavie, who writes a media column for the daily Ha'aretz, the strictures have moral implications. "When a city is occupied, horrible things happen," Lavie says. "The Israeli and world media need to be there in order to document what is going on."

Two journalists were shot in Ramallah over the weekend, Anthony Shadid of the Boston Globe and Carlos Handal of Nile Television, becoming the latest in more than 40 casualties among journalists, most of them attributed to Israeli fire, since the start of the Israeli-Palestinian confrontation in September 2000. There has been one fatality, Italian photographer Raffaelli Ciriello, shot by Israeli troops in Amari Refugee Camp last month. On Saturday, soldiers took over a six-story building in Ramallah housing the offices of Reuters and other foreign and Arab media.

Foreign journalists are also feeling the impact of new Israeli curbs on their Palestinian stringers, relied upon heavily by the correspondents for translation, news gathering, and even personal safety in Palestinian areas. Several veteran Palestinian journalists have been refused renewal of their press cards, thus preventing them from getting past the army checkpoints.

"The increasing hardship in getting accreditation for the Palestinian journalists and the extremely dangerous circumstances you can find yourself in all have the effect of intimidating people and deterring them from doing their jobs," says Graham Usher, who covers the occupied territories for British and American publications. The director of Israel's Government Press Office, Daniel Seaman, says that cards of some Palestinian journalists were not renewed for "security reasons." A new credential that would enable some of the Palestinian journalists to get through checkpoints is being devised, but "we have no reason to hurry," he says.

"The question is whether these Palestinian employees of the foreign press are providing nonbiased objective coverage of events, or deliberately distorting the truth to serve the Palestinian cause," Seaman says. "We have no doubt that all of those employed by the foreign press receive their instructions from the Palestinian Authority."

Israel was reinforced in its decision to bar foreign journalists from Ramallah by interviews that CNN broadcast on Sunday with Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat in his besieged offices.

Journalists had followed pro-Palestinian peace activists into Mr. Arafat's room.

"If a journalist wants to come here and be accredited by Israel, we expect them not to cross us and be a part of a Palestinian propaganda show," Mr. Mekel says.

Mekel says that "we have always gone out of our way to provide full freedom all of these years, but this time it is really safety. We don't want people to be hurt and then we are blamed.

"If you compare access by the foreign press here with Arab countries, the difference is striking," he adds.

Grievances of journalists toward Israeli authorities have been mounting for months.

Journalists have also faced problems with the Palestinian Authority, including interference and intimidation.

Mr. Shadid, of The Boston Globe, was shot from behind, in the right shoulder, in Ramallah. A colleague at the Globe, Alon Tuval, said it was not clear if the shot was fired by Israelis or Palestinians. Not so in most of the cases where journalists have been hit, say watchdog groups.

"Gunfire from the Israel Defense Forces was the most dangerous and immediate threat to journalists in Gaza and the West Bank," the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said, referring to the year 2001.

Mr. Handal, of Egypt's Nile Television, was shot in the neck by Israeli soldiers, according to colleague Ra'ed Hilu, who was with him. Mr. Hilu said the car was clearly marked on all four sides with large stickers that said TV. The Israeli army did not respond to queries about the incident.

Ciriello's colleagues say the Italian photographer was tracking Palestinian gunmen at the time he was shot by Israeli forces, after pointing his camera toward a tank.

"I don't think they are deliberately trying to hit journalists. I think a lot of people lose patience and vent their anger at the media," says Tami Allen-Frost, deputy chair of the Foreign Press Association in Israel. "Lackadaisical and slow army investigations are giving the soldiers in the field an unofficial green light to do what they are doing."

Ms. Allen-Frost says that in 19 months, only one soldier has been punished for shooting a journalist. The soldier shot and seriously wounded photographer Yola Monakhov in the abdomen with two live bullets while there was no exchange of fire during an incident in Bethlehem. He was demoted and given a suspended 28-day prison sentence.

Seaman says the army does not deliberately shoot journalists.

In some of the cases of journalists being shot, there was not enough evidence to conclude whether disciplinary action was appropriate. In other instances, journalists were "caught in the crossfire," he said.

"I am more afraid that an Israeli soldier will not shoot in such a situation and get killed than I am that the journalist will get killed," Seaman says, referring to the incident in which Ciriello was killed.

 
Antworten
Stox Dude:

40 Journalisten verwundet bzw. einige davon

 
25.04.02 12:29
erschossen.

Crossfire, so sagen die Israelis :-(
Antworten
Kicky:

Siedler wollen Fakten schaffen

 
25.04.02 16:25
Siedler wollen Fakten schaffen
von jonas - 24.04.2002 21:59

In Ostjerusalem wurden vor wenigen Tagen palaestinensische Familien aus ihren Wohnungen aus ihren Wohnungen evakuiert. Siedler beanspruchen den Besitz, die Bisitzverhaeltnisse sind vor GEricht jedoch noch nicht geklaert.



Siedler wollen Fakten schaffen

Das Ziel ist es eine Teilung der Altstadt als Teil eines zukünftigen Friedensvertrages unmöglich zu machen, erklärte der ultra-rechte Knesset-Abgeordnete Benny Elon nach der Räumung von neun palästinensischen Familien aus ihren Wohnungen in Ostjerusalem.

Diese und andere Familien in der Nachbarschaft bekamen die Gebäude in den 50er Jahren von der UNRWA im Tausch gegen ihren Flüchtlingsstatus - sie gaben damit die Ansprüche auf ihre ehemalige Heimat im heutigen Israel auf - wo sie auch keine Chance hätten ihren Besitz zurückzufordern. Nach der Eroberung Ostjerusalems durch die israelische Armee erhob 1972 ein jüdischer Verein, zu dem Benny Elon gehört, Anspruch auf dieses Gelände von insgesamt 29 Häusern - es habe sich vor 1948 um ein jüdisches Viertel gehandelt. Die Gerichtsverfahren ziehen sich seit 30 Jahren hin, da auch eine palästinensische Familie Besitzansprüche aufgrund von ottomanischen Dokumenten verteidigt. Noch immer ist keine endgültige Entscheidung getroffen. In einem abgespaltenen Fall ordnete jedoch vor kurzem ein Richter für zwei der Häuser mit insgesamt elf Wohnungen die Räumung an. In einem Eilantrag konnte der Anwalt der Familien am 22. April die Räumung von 2 der Wohnungen verhindern; die anderen sollten nach der Evakuierung von der Polizei verschlossen und so auch für die Siedler unzugänglich gemacht werden.

Noch in der Nacht vom 22. April kam die Polizei. Kurz vor Mitternacht sperrten mehrere hundert Polizisten die Zugangsstraßen, positionierten einen Wasserwerfer und eine Reiterstaffel und evakuierten die etwa 50 Bewohner der Wohnungen. Einige israelische Friedensaktivisten leisteten symbolischen Widerstand um ihren Protest auszudrücken und Solidarität mit den Bewohnern zu zeigen. Bei der Räumung wurde gegen passiven Widerstand brutal vorgegangen. Sämtliche Personen wurden bis hinter die Straßensperren zurückgedrängt und nicht einmal die Presse wurde durchgelassen. In der nächsten halben Stunde kamen führende Intellektuelle Ostjerusalems, weitere Israelis und einige Internationale hinzu, so dass eine Gruppe von über 200 Menschen vor der Polizeisperre versammelt waren. Die Bewohner waren mit den Nerven am Ende und auch die anderen Anwesenden konnten ihre Emotionen nur schwer beherrschen - besonders als zur Provokation noch Vertreter der Siedler zwischen den Versammelten hindurchgingen - trotzdem blieb die Seite der Demonstranten gewaltfrei.

Nach zwei Stunden war der Polizeieinsatz beendet. Die neun Wohnungen waren leer geräumt, das Mobiliar abtransportiert und die Schlösser der Türen ausgetauscht. Die ehemaligen Flüchtlinge haben auch ihre neue Heimat verloren und die Siedler sind ihrem Ziel einen Schritt nähergekommen, auch wenn sie diese Häuser noch nicht beziehen durften.

Der Autor arbeitet als Freiwilliger in einer israelischen Behindertenschule und war Augenzeuge der Aktion


Antworten
Auf neue Beiträge prüfen
Es gibt keine neuen Beiträge.


Börsen-Forum - Gesamtforum - Antwort einfügen - zum ersten Beitrag springen
--button_text--