Call auf Lucent T.
kein aktueller Kurs verfügbar

S&P 100
kein aktueller Kurs verfügbar
Der Doomsday Bären-Thread Anti Lemming
Anti Lemming:

Die Krise um Fannie Mae war letzten Oktober

21.06.06 11:34
und führte zu einem kleinen Abverkauf an den Börsen, der jedoch glimpflicher verlief als des letzte Sell-Off ab 10. Mai.

http://www.ariva.de/board/233083

Werbung

Entdecke die beliebtesten ETFs von SPDR

SPDR S&P U.S. Technology Select Sector UCITS ETF
Perf. 12M: +40,41%
SPDR S&P U.S. Communication Serv. Select Sector UCITS ETF Ac
Perf. 12M: +39,64%
SPDR MSCI World Technology UCITS ETF
Perf. 12M: +38,30%
SPDR MSCI World Communication Services UCITS ETF
Perf. 12M: +37,75%
SPDR MSCI Europe Technology UCITS ETF
Perf. 12M: +30,26%

Der Doomsday Bären-Thread mecano
mecano:

was hat denn nordkorea vor ?

21.06.06 14:14
Die Berichte über einen möglichen Abschuss der Taepodong-2 hatten in den vergangenen Tagen viele Regierungen in der Region in Aufruhr gebracht.
Bereits 1998 schockierte das weitgehend abgeschottete Nordkorea die Weltöffentlichkeit, als es eine Rakete über Japan in den Pazifik feuerte.
2003 trat Nordkorea zudem aus dem Atomwaffensperrvertrag aus.

Da die nordkoreanische Langstreckenrakete den US-Bundesstaat Alaska treffen können soll, hatten die USA am Dienstag ihr Raketenabwehrsystem hochgefahren.

Schieffer schloss nicht aus, dass die USA bei einem Abschuss eine nordkoreanische Rakete abfangen würden. "Die USA haben nun Möglichkeiten, die sie zuvor nicht hatten, und die Optionen liegen nun auf dem Tisch", sagte Schieffer.
zit. ftd
Der Doomsday Bären-Thread 44236
Anti Lemming:

Schurkenstaaten

21.06.06 14:23
interessieren die USA nur, wenn sich darunter ÖL befindet.

Wenn Teheran eine Rakete abgeschossen hätte, wäre der Iran schon lange platt gemacht.
Anti Lemming:

Der maßlos überschuldete US-Verbraucher

22.06.06 20:06
Market Analysis
The Underlevered American Household
By James Altucher
TheStreet.com
6/21/2006 2:30 PM EDT

The topic for this article came about when I was talking to my research assistant about the state of the economy and this ugly market. He asked why it should go up and claimed Americans have no money. My rebuttal was that Americans have more money then ever. But as will happen in most great office debates, we were both talking without evidence, so we decided to look up some statistics to see if either of our assumptions was, in fact, true.

On the face of it, things are not pretty.

For the first time since the Great Depression, the U.S. has a negative personal savings rate.

What does this mean? It means that according to the way economists working for the government calculate income and expenditures, we are spending more than we make.

And we can all agree that the chart below is a pretty ugly picture.

But then I looked beyond the picture, and while I hate to be the Dr. Feelgood all the time on the markets, the bottom line is this: If you want to look at the following chart and be depressed, then be my guest. But it's better to take up sports or exercise and be a little happier because the chart is mostly useless.

Der Doomsday Bären-Thread 2632015

For one thing, capital gains are not included in personal income. However, capital gains taxes are included as expenditures. So, if you sold your house last year for a nice profit, as many people did, and rather than buying another house, you put all that money toward mutual funds, taxes, etc., then you are showing negative personal savings. BAM!

I don't know what else to say about that one, except this: If you buy a car, the entire cost of that car counts as an expenditure, even if you got a "zero interest, no payments till 2007" sort of loan. Not really a fair way to calculate expenditures in my opinion.

Based on these calculations, now that the cycle of low interest rates and massive housing and automobile purchases is over, we will see a sharp drop in the expenditures side of this equation over the next two years.

Perhaps more disturbing is the fact that household financial obligations, which looks at all monthly payments as a percentage of disposable personal income, are at a 26-year high. Again, personal income here does not include capital gains increases, but still, we'd like to see this number lower.

Financial Obligations Trouble
Obligations being at a 26-year high is more worrisome than the savings rate
Source: Department of Commerce

Household Debt
New spending habits need to be considered

Both of the above charts, showing credit-market-debt outstanding is increasing, as well as the financial-obligations ratio below, need to be looked at in a new light because spending habits have changed. Most people now, as opposed to 10 or even five years ago, put almost all basic expenditures on credit cards.

There are several reasons to do this (and I know because I do this). My American Express bill contains basically all of the monthly expenditures for my family and makes it easier to understand what our expenses are by category. Also, for tax purposes, it's easy to track all the expenses, as opposed to saving receipts for everything when you get it all on one bill.

I believe this shift in how we spend money and use our credit cards (10 years ago, most people in their early 20s did not even have credit cards, for instance) is more a factor here than people realize.

Liabilities Need Balance
Household assets put the debt in perspective

And finally, there's the federal debt. The fact that foreigners hold so much of our debt has been worrisome to investors. Two trillion dollars is a big liability. Or is it?

Like any balance sheet, debt is only one side of the equation. The other side is assets. In 2000, the total assets of U.S. households were $49 trillion. Right now they're $66 trillion, an increase of 33%. With $66 trillion in assets, handling the $2 trillion in debt is not a big deal. If anything, we should probably do as any activist fund would admonish a company to do -- lever up and invest more in ourselves.

James Altucher is a managing partner at Formula Capital, an alternative asset management firm that runs several quantitative-based hedge funds as well as a fund of hedge funds. He is also the author of Trade Like a Hedge Fund and Trade Like Warren Buffett. Under no circumstances does the information in this column represent a recommendation to buy or sell stocks. Altucher appreciates your feedback; click here to send him an email.
Anti Lemming:

Fataler Herdentrieb bei den großen Fonds

22.06.06 20:59
Cody Willard ist Hedgefond-Manager eines kleinen Technologie-Fonds. Er ärgert sich im Artikel unten über die Tendenz bei den großen Fonds, alles zu "systematisieren" und danach durch Leverage (mehr Hebel) die Profite hoch zu treiben. Flexibles und unabhängiges Denken ist in diesen Fonds unerwünscht.

Dies birgt zugleich hohe Risiken - wie immer, wenn zuviele Leute mit zuviel Geld alle dasselbe tun.

Cody Willard Blog
Break From the Herd
By Cody Willard

6/22/2006 2:04 PM EDT

Wall Street has always been a bunch of lemmings who copy whatever system has been working and attempt to further systemize it and then scale it for profit. And just like corporate group-think has all but ruined the music business, it is also a major threat to the markets and our economy. As the monies at stake have scaled to historic proportions, the growth of systemized money management has been exponential.

In particular, there are the fund-of-funds that have systemized the management of hundreds of billions of dollars. These systems lead these fund-of-funds managers to select only those money managers that will put money to work in accordance to the fund-of-funds expectations, and that leaves no room for free-thinking or flexibility, two traits I believe are valuable on Wall Street.

Running institutional money and want to change your approach because your analysis dictates such? Tough. Stick with the system that got you the money or the fund-of-funds will pull that money, regardless of your performance.

I've had systemic money in my fund before, and I kicked it out after they hounded me for being overly flexible. I'm serious. These system managers have no time and place for free-thinking and flexibility. In my approach to the market (and in my approach to life), I strive to be independent and free willed, and I have sacrificed size for flexibility.

Of course, the record-breaking decline in volatility over the past few years abetted the growth of many of these systems, and that cycle fed itself, delivering steady returns that appear to be "safe."

So what does Wall Street, in its endless greed and systemization of everything go and do? Rather than adjust, these managers try to juice those returns by levering up. And not just at the money manager level, but at the fund-of-funds level. So levered up money gets levered up, and the "safe systems" feed on themselves, further juicing those returns and "proving" the value of those systems.

In a similar vein, just this morning several new ETFs were launched that are double levered up, as Roger Nusbaum noted earlier. I often write about the virtues that the democratization of, well, everything, that the Internet and cheap computing brings about. But it's not all virtuous. These levered ETFs formally mark the introduction of levered systems to the masses.

Maybe this all works out smoothly and maybe even if it does get ugly it won't be for years to come. But music provides a case study here. Record labels spent millions convincing the public that the Simpson girls have a place in music. But they have since been reminded -- and harshly! -- that the public will only accept systemized groupthink until it doesn't. And then it gets ugly indeed. I worry that Wall Street's current trends, at the institutional and retail level, have our markets headed down this same path. As Dylan wrote: "Live by no man's code, And hold your judgment for yourself, Lest you wind up on this road."

I would love to get a dialogue about all of this going in our town hall of blog commentary. Are you running money? Are you part of the systemization of running money? Are you sure that is something that will pay off in the long run?

Cody Willard is the manager of a hedge fund, author of The Telecom Connection, a newsletter published by TheStreet.com and a contributor to the Financial Times and VON Magazine. He is also a regular guest on CNBC's Kudlow & Company and an adjunct professor at Seton Hall.
Anti Lemming:

FTD: Finanzmärkte zittern vor Fed-Sitzung

24.06.06 12:14
FTD, 24.6.06
Finanzmärkte zittern vor Fed-Sitzung
von Yasmin Osman, Ralf Blasig, Frankfurt, und Jens Korte, New York

Das Rätselraten über die US-amerikanische Geldpolitik sorgt weiter für Nervosität an den Finanzmärkten. Da die US-Notenbank ihre Zinsentscheidung erst am Donnerstagabend europäischer Zeit veröffentlichen wird, dürften die Spekulationen weite Teile dieser Handelswoche überschatten.

Zum Konsens gehört die 17. Zinserhöhung um 25 Basispunkte auf dann 5,25 Prozent. "Es müsste schon viel passieren, etwa eine Zinserhöhung um 50 Basispunkte, um die Marktteilnehmer zu schocken", sagt Michael Driscoll, Analyst der Investmentbank Bear Stearns. Allerdings kursierten am Freitag bereits Gerüchte über eine Anhebung um 50 Basispunkte. Die Zinserwartungen haben neben dem Ausverkauf an den Schwellenländern dem Dollar zu einem Mini-Boom verholfen. Dagegen konnten sich Europas Börsen nach drei Verlustwochen erholen. Der Stoxx 50 legte um 1,8 Prozent zu, der Dax gewann 2,9 Prozent.

Von entscheidender Bedeutung dürfte der Ausblick der Fed über ihre weitere Geldpolitik sein. "Die Kommentare der Notenbank dürften weitestgehend eine Kopie der letzten Sitzung im Mai werden", sagt Global Insight Ökonom Brian Bethune. "Die Fed dürfte sich zwar sprachlich die Option offen halten, im August eine Zinspause einzulegen. Doch unserer Meinung nach dürfte sie beim Treffen am 8. August die Zinsen noch einmal um 25 Basispunkte anheben." Die Fed werde nicht ihren besorgten Tonfall in Sachen Inflationsrisiko abmildern, schreibt die RZB. Am Geldmarkt ist eine Zinsanhebung im August auf 5,5 Prozent in die Kurse eingearbeitet.

Am Devisenmarkt dürfte der Dollar Oberwasser behalten, erwartet die Mehrheit der Experten. "Solange die Zinserhöhungsstory noch im Raum steht, wird es für den Euro schwierig bleiben, sich gegen den Dollar durchzusetzen", sagt Sonja Marten, Devisenstrategin von Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein. "Am Markt spielen im Moment nur die höheren Zinsen eine Rolle, und nicht so sehr, welche Folgen die für die Konjunktur haben könnten."

Eindeutige Signale erwartet

"Für eine Fortsetzung der Dollar-Rally bräuchte es aber Signale für weitere Anhebungen über die aktuellen Erwartungen hinaus", warnt Michael Metcalfe, Devisenstratege von State Street Global Markets. Viel hänge daher davon ab, inwieweit sich die Fed der sich abzeichnenden Konjunkturabkühlung widme. So fielen am Freitag die Auftragseingänge langlebiger Güter relativ schwach aus, dagegen gibt es nach wie vor Inflationstendenzen.

"Auch diese Woche werden die Wirtschaftsdaten den Zwiespalt der Fed widerspiegeln: Die Daten deuten auf schwächeres Wachstum und auf Preisdruck hin"

[de facto heißt das: STAGFLATION - A.L.]

..., sagt Peter Müller, Zinsanalyst der Commerzbank. Die Zinsängste dürften vor allem kurzfristige Anleihen belasten. Starke Wirtschaftsdaten in Europa könnten darüber hinaus lang laufende Bonds unter Druck setzen. Bis Klarheit herrscht, "werden die Rentenmärkte ohne klare Richtung vor sich hinzittern", erwartet Kornelius Purps, Zinsanalyst der HypoVereinsbank.

Unabhängig von der Fed-Politik könnten aber erneut die Schwellenländermärkte den Greenback stützen. Da viele Anleger Positionen an diesen Finanzmärkten gegen US-Dollar halten, stützte der Ausverkauf an deren Finanzmärkten die US-Währung.

Anleger halten sich zurück

"Viel hängt nun von der Entwicklung dort ab", sagt Steven Saywell, Devisenexperte der Citigroup. Chris Furness, Chefanalyst von 4Cast befürchtet, dass noch weitere US-Anleger sich aus diesen Märkten zurückziehen wollen. Eine schnelle Erholung der Emerging Markets ist aus Sicht von Nord-LB-Händler Karsten Jürges nicht zu erwarten. Es gebe zwar Kurspotenzial. "In der jetzigen Phase werden sich die Leute aber zurückhalten." Für die US-Börsen rechnet Driscoll mit einer hohen Volatilität. "Das Verhältnis der Händler, die sagen das Glas ist halb voll, und der Händler, die sagen das Glas ist halb leer, ist derzeit ausgeglichen. Es gibt keine klare Richtung. Das führt zu diesen extremen Schwankungen."

An Europas Börsen macht sich mehr Zuversicht breit. "Ich denke, dass wir noch ein bisschen nach oben weiterlaufen können", sagte Norbert Pütz, Händler bei der Postbank. Nur wenige Anleger hätten sich während der jüngsten Talsohle mit neuen Aktien eingedeckt, sodass sich die Verkäufe bei einem leichten Kursanstieg in Grenzen halten dürften.

"Wer raus wollte oder raus musste sollte eigentlich draußen sein", sagt Roland Ziegler, Aktienstratege bei der BHF-Bank. Habe die Fed ihre Entscheidung erst einmal verkündet, könne sich an den Börsen zudem Erleichterung einstellen. Gemessen am VDax ist die Nervosität am Markt bereits jetzt etwas zurückgegangen. Der Index, der die vom Terminmarkt erwartete Schwankungsbreite des Dax ausdrückt, notiert inzwischen wieder unter 20 Punkte.

Auf längere Sicht von sechs Monaten würden die positiven Fundamentaldaten wieder größeren Einfluss gewinnen, erwartet Ziegler. "Die Kurs-Gewinn-Verhältnisse sind immer noch sehr niedrig", sagte er. Positiv wirke sich weiterhin aus, dass die Private-Equity-Fonds noch erheblichen Anlagebedarf hätten. Mittelfristig könnten sich die europäischen Leitindizes daher durchaus wieder ihren Höchstständen vom Frühjahr nähern. Der Dax zum Beispiel hatte im Mai noch über 6100 Punkte notiert.

[KOMMENTAR: DAX 6100 ist unwahrscheinlich, wenn sich in USA tatsächlich eine Stagflation abzeichnet. Diese Höhen konnte der DAX nur erklimmen, als US-Investoren noch in den "Emerging Market Deutschland" investierten. Nun holen die Amis ihr Geld jedoch wieder heim. USA gilt als sicheres Hafen, wenn die Welt strauchelt. Unterdessen sparen und besteuern Merkel & Co. Deutschland zu Tode. - A.L.]
Anti Lemming:

Greenspans falsches Timing bei Hypotheken

25.06.06 13:02
Altmeister Greenspan riet US-Immobilienkäufern genau im falschen Moment - als die Zinsen auf einem 40-Jahres-Tief standen - , zu variabel verzinsten Hypotheken (adjustable rate mortgage - kurz: ARM). Nun zahlen diejenigen, die auf ihn hörten, nach zig Zinserhöhungen buchstäblich die Zeche (siehe Artikel unten).

Es ist schon bemerkenswert, wie oft und extrem Greenspan mit allen möglichen Prognosen (Ölpreise, Gas-Preise, Immobilien-Zinsen usw.) falsch lag (ganz unten, fett).

Ich geb hier mal eine (um eigene Gedanken erweiterte) Zusammenfassung, weil der Artikel in ziemlich schwierigem Englisch geschrieben ist:

Die Zinskosten für die ausstehenden ARM-Verträge - immerhin eine Billion (US: trillion) wird dieses Jahr fällig und 1,7 Billionen nächstes - erhöhen sich durch die laufenden Zinserhöhungen um 25 bis 60 %. So viel müssen die die Immobilienkäufer (sofern sie keine fixen Hypotheken gewählt haben) also mehr aufbringen, um die laufenden Zinszahlungen zu bedienen.

Das ist für amerikanische "appartment flipper" tragisch. Viele haben sich im US-Hausboom fünf und mehr Häuser oder Eigentumswohnungen auf Kredit zugelegt - in der Hoffnung, sie dem Nächstdümmeren noch teurer verkaufen zu können (ein spekulatives Schneeballsystem ähnlich wie bei Pennystock-"Kursraketen"). Dabei hatten viele keinen Cent Eigenkapital: Sie nutzten die "zero down payment - interest only" Angebote der Banken und kauften die heiße Immo-Ware mit 100 % ARM-Kredit ohne Tilgung, bei dem nur die Zinsen zu zahlen sind (Grund: ARM-Hypotheken waren damals billiger als fixe Hypotheken). Die Zinsen zahlen sie aus ihrem monatlichen Einkommen. Wenn jetzt die Zinskosten um bis zu 60 % steigen, können viele die Zinszahlungen nicht mehr aufbringen. Folge: Die Banken zwingen sie zu Verkäufen.

Gleichzeitig wird der Verkauf der (oft zu teuer) gekauften Immobilien immer schwieriger, da ja alle dasselbe Problem haben. Immobilien, die Besitzern damals, in der Tiefzinsphase, von neuen Interessenten förmlich aus den Händen gerissen wurden, werden zunehmend UNVERKÄUFLICH - es sei denn mit deftigem Preisnachlass.

Immobilienspekulanten stehen somit doppelt unter Druck: Zum einen können sie die Zinsen für die ARMs kaum mehr aufbringen, zum anderen können sie ihre Immobilien nur mit Verlust (Verkauf unter Einstand) wieder an den Mann bringen. Das Ganze dürfte zu einer Abwärtsspirale führen - nicht ganz so krass wie bei einem Aktien-Crash, aber dennoch heftig. Die Zwangsverkäufe der Banken entsprechen den Margin-Call-Verkäufen von beliehenen Aktien bei der Brokern. (Dies führt auch im Aktienmarkt alle paar Jahre zu krater-förmigen Einbrüchen.)

Dem ohnehin schon schwächelnden US-Konsumenten wird dadurch weitere Kaufkraft entzogen.

Call to ARMs  (schönes Wortspiel, heißt auch "Ruf zu den Waffen")

Alan Abelson hits on a favorite theme of ours: Bad financial advice given by a certain former Federal Reerve Chairman:

"ANYONE KNOW A GOOD LAWYER? Before you accuse us of cavalierly perpetrating an odious oxymoron, rest assured we're using "good" in the sense of professional superiority, certainly not moral rectitude. And what inspires our request is we're trying to prepare for a flood of requests from angry readers hot to sue [verklagen] Alan Greenspan.

Be assured as well that we would earnestly seek to discourage such action. For one thing, Mr. Greenspan is a well-meaning and gentle soul, known far and wide for his generosity (they don't call him Accommodating Al for nothing). For another, as the New York Times reported last week, chasing ambulances is already a lavishly rewarding occupation. More so, for sure, than tending to the unfortunates being hauled to hospitals in those ambulances, as evidenced by a study that found lawyers' incomes between 1995 and 2003 rose 7%, while your average sawbones [Chirurg] over that same stretch suffered a 7% decline in his take-home pay.

But the incontrovertible if sad truth is that Mr. Greenspan did offer financial advice using, what's more, the bully platform of a congressional hearing to make his pitch.

And the even sadder truth is that any innocent who chose to follow his advice is now the poorer for having done so. That Mr. Greenspan has recently received a huge advance for a book on his life and happy times as a famous economist and revered civil servant is, alas, a cinch to only whet already ravenous litigious appetites.

More specifically, Mr. G stands guilty of committing a capital crime several years back by regaling the peasants, who considered his every word a divine utterance, on the joys of adjustable-rate mortgages (as opposed to the old stodgy fixed-rate variety).

As it happened, he couldn't have picked a worse moment to make what Stephanie Pomboy of MacroMavens nicely dubs his "call to ARMs." Yields were their lowest in 40 years, but poised to begin a remorseless climb up the slippery slope.

The masses who rushed to follow the master's advice are only now starting to feel the pain of their folly. Stephanie reckons that some $1 trillion of adjustable-rate mortgages are due to be reset this year and another $1.7 trillion next. In the event, legions of homeowners will have to cough up 25% more every month and, for some, the bite will be as much as 60% greater...

Note that we made the same observation (in 2004) about this horrific advice. Back to Abelson:

Much as we sympathize with their plight, the hapless borrowers have only themselves to blame for failing to perform sufficient due diligence before acting on Mr. G's urgings. Had they made even a cursory effort to take his measure, they would have known better. For though not always wrong on his projections or wildly off on his timing (he isn't, after all, a financial journalist) [Solche Selbstironie find ich gut in US-Blättern! - A.L.] , he invariably has been wrong on the big ones. The only thing worse than his misdiagnoses have been his proposed remedies, which consisted mostly of the same old snake oil of easy money and easier credit. He was always ready with a fix, never with a cure.

Most notably, he lost his nerve when confronted by a runaway stock market and what to do about it. His politically correct but economically insane answer was essentially... nothing. When equities inevitably came back to earth with a horrible thud, he sought to distract us simple folk from the smoking ruins by creating the greatest housing bubble since shelter-seeking man first crawled out of his dank cave.

Now, that bubble's losing air rapidly and bad stuff is beginning to happen. Mr. Greenspan has fortuitously or craftily -- or both -- slipped out of the line of fire and, presumably, is busily scribbling away, offering, as the key player, his priceless perspective on the great bull markets in stocks and houses. (The perspective may be priceless but, the book will probably, depending on length, go for close to 30 bucks a copy, with the usual discount at Barnes & Noble.) We can hardly wait to read his account. But, then, we're a real sucker for anything with a financial theme, especially fiction."

We couldn't agree more -- we have hit upon quite similar themes several times. First, in Ignore the Cheerleader-in-Chief and more recently, in Myths of the Greenspan Era.

Consider the following fed chief foibles which we have pointed out in the past:

• October 8, 2004 "The impact of the current surge in oil prices, though noticeable, is likely to prove less consequential to economic growth and inflation than in the 1970s."

-Speech to National Italian American Foundation in Wash, D.C., Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said he's not worried by the rise of crude oil prices to a record $55 a barrel.

• July 20, 2004: Rising energy prices "should prove short-lived"; crude prices have risen nearly doubled since then.
   -Testimony before Congress

• May 2003, Greenspan warned of potential Natural gas shortages; prices tumbled shortly thereafter on increased supplies.

• Summer 2004: His advice to would-be home owners, praising the virtues of adjustable-rate mortgages when fixed-rate loans were near half-century lows.

These are but a few of his calls; If you see a pattern, give yourself a gold star . . . or better yet, just buy some gold, as his easy money policies are the reason the metal has doubled over the past 5 years.

Source:
Call to ARMs
UP AND DOWN WALL STREET
Alan Abelson
Barron's MONDAY, JUNE 26, 2006  
online.barrons.com/article/SB115110348487989476.html
Anti Lemming:

Heute abend knallt es

29.06.06 18:03
In USA versuchen Trader zurzeit, den Index-Anstieg, der als "Erleichterungs-Rallye" auf die Fed-Sitzung folgen soll, schon im Vorfeld vorwegzunehmen. Das lädt zu einer Sell-the-news-Reaktion ein. Ich rechne mit 0,25 % Erhöhung, einem "hawkish"-en Begleit-Statement - und einem folgenden Abverkauf. Werden dabei Indexunterstützungen durchbrochen (1220 beim SP-500), könnte es auch neue Jahrestiefstände geben.

Für dieses Szenario spicht auch mangelnde "Bären-Stimmung": Das Put-Call-Verhältnis bei Aktien-Optionen liegt in USA zurzeit bei nur 0,44. Nachhaltige Anstiege kommen aber erst bei Werten zwischen 1,5 und 2, weil dann genug "dumb money" falsch liegt.

The early measure on the VIX is down 6% to 14.80, its lowest reading in about three weeks, and the equity only put/call ratio is down to 0.44, its lowest intraday reading in six weeks. The p/c on index products is just 0.90, the lowest level in a long time. It's getting extreme enough to border on being a contrary indicator.
Anti Lemming:

Es knallte (bislang) nicht

30.06.06 14:54
weil sich die Fed gestern abend überraschend in einen Schafspelz hüllte, nachdem sie die letzten sechs Wochen pausenlos die Zähne gefletscht hatte. Es bleibt aber dabei, dass sie der Inflationsbekämpfung höchste Priorität einräumt und - abhängig von der Datenlage - weiter die Zinsen erhöhen wird. Insofern hat sich zum letzten Statement wenig geändert.

Neu ist, dass die Fed zugibt, die US-Wirtschaft habe zu schwächeln begonnen, was den Inflationsdruck etwas mildert. Damit ist das Zinsgespenst zunächst gebannt; Aktien schossen gestern in die Höhe. Allerdings glaube ich kaum, dass diese - immerhin von der Fed ausgemachte - Wirtschaftsschwäche eine solide Basis für nachhaltige Anstiege sein kann.

Außerdem ist noch nicht aller Tage Abend. Am 10. Mai, nach der letzten Fed-Sitzung, gab es auch zunächst eine Erleichterungs-Rallye, die dann ab dem 11. Mai in einen der heftigsten Abverkäufe der letzten drei Jahre überging. Die Fed hat sich durch ihre wechselnden Verlautbarungen (heute Hüh, morgen Hott) als schlecht berechenbar erwiesen. Beim nächsten Inflations-Signal könnte sie erneut die Zähne fletschen. Unsicherheit aber liebt der Markt nicht - schon gar nicht von Seiten der Fed.
Anti Lemming:

Nun kommt die "Anschluss-Rallye"

30.06.06 16:03
-> shice goes south
Anti Lemming:

Ausblick für 2006/2007

01.07.06 10:09
Der Chart unten bestätigt meine These aus P. 259 (dritter Absatz), dass "aufgeschoben nicht aufgehoben" ist.

Nach dem 214-Punkte-Anstieg am Donnerstag (IMHO "Kniereflex-Erleichterungs-Rallye" nach dem Fed-Zinsentscheid) ist der 40-Punkte-Rücksetzer am Freitag allerdings noch kein Beinbruch, sondern wird sogar als Trend-bestätigend interpretiert. Viele Bullen rechnen mit einer Fortsetzung der Hausse nächste Woche. Wie auch immer: Die erwartete Anschluss-Rallye blieb am Freitag aus.

Ich bleibe nicht investiert (außer im US-Dollar und im Austral-Dollar - beides cash - mit 5,25 bzw. 5,85 % Zinsen), da ich den gegenwärtigen Anstieg nur für eine technische Korrektur im längerfristigen Abwärtstrend halte. Die US-Quartalszahlen der laufenden Berichts-Saison dürften zwar eher gut ausfallen (= "glorreiche" Vergangenheit). Es dürfte jedoch, auch wegen der hohen Zinsen von nun 5,25 %, schlechte Ausblicke für das nächste Quartal geben (= "schwächelnde" Zukunft). Die Börse wartet üblicherweise nicht, bis die schlechten Zahlen des nächsten Quartals tatsächlich da sind, sondern nimmt dies durch fallende Kurse BEREITS JETZT (nach der technischen Korrektur) vorweg. Kurz: Wir dürften trotz guter Ergebnisse einen "Sell-the-good-News"-Abverkauf sehen.

Selbst die Fed hat in ihrem Begleitkommentar am Donnerstag eingeräumt, dass die US-Wirtschaft an Stärke verloren hat. Dies mindere den Inflationsdruck. Das Zinsgespenst scheint daher etwas gebannt. Optimismus, die Fed sei nun am Ende ihres Zyklus angelangt, war denn auch die Ursache für die Kniereflex-Rallye am Donnerstag. Die Fed schrieb jedoch, wie am 10. Mai, dass sie weitere Entscheidungen von der Datenlage abhängig machen will. Und da gab es bei der Kern-Inflationsrate in den letzten Monaten eine klare Tendenz: nach oben.

Das etwas "mildere" Fed-Statement vom letzten Donnerstag diente IMHO lediglich der Beschwichtigung der Märkte, die eine "wild gewordene" Fed voller kühner Anti-Inflations-Ritter fürchteten. Sobald jedoch bei den CPI- und PPI-Zahlen die Kern-Inflations-Rate wieder über 2,2 % liegt, wird die Fed erneut mit den Zähnen knirschen. Diese Strategie der Fed (heute Hüh, morgen Hott) wird die Märkte zusätzlich verunsichern. Schon der Abgang von Altmeiter Greenspan bedrückt.

Eines ist sicher: Vor die Wahl gestellt, durch Nichthandeln eine gallopierende Inflation wie in den 1970-er Jahren zu riskieren (= lang anhaltende Wirtschaftskrise), oder durch Überschießen eine - temporäre - Rezession auszulösen (= normale Phase im Wirtschaftszyklus), wird sich die Fed für das zweite entscheiden und weiter erhöhen. Wer glaubt, die Fed hätte ein Erbarmen mit den Aktien- und Immobilienmärkten, wird sich getäuscht sehen. Erst wenn es richtig knallt (wie 1998 nach der LTCM-Pleite), wird die Fed dann wieder in Feuerwehr-Manier hektisch die Zinsen senken und die Märkte "in Liquidität ersäufen".

Der DAX wird den USA-Indizes wie üblich (und diesen Mai) als "Marionette ohne Eigenleben" folgen. Leute, die der Abkoppelungs-Illusion nachhängen, weil "Europa boomt, während USA den Zenith überschritten hat", werden IMHO das Nachsehen haben. Das Totschlagargument wird dann lauten: Mangelndes Interesse aus dem Dollar-Raum (nachdem der DAX im Mai - in Dollar gerechnet - ein Doppeltop mit dem Allzeithoch im Jahr 2000 ausgebildet hat). Wenn's zu Hause (in USA) brennt, wird das Geld aus den Emerging Markets, aber auch aus Europa, abgezogen. Der gleiche Mechanismus - unterstützt durch weiter steigende US-Zinsen - wird den Dollar zum Euro stärken: Der Dollar dürfte bis Mitte 2007 wieder auf Kurse um 1,15 steigen. Die US-Zinsen werden dann - inflationsgetrieben - bei ca. 6 % stehen, in Europa bei nur 3,25 bis 3,5 %.

All dies ist natürlich "nur meine Meinung", die selbstverständlich falsch sein kann (wäre nicht das erste Mal). Statistisch lag ich mit meinen Erwartungen in der Vergangenheit allerdings häufiger richtig als falsch.
Der Doomsday Bären-Thread 45534
Der Doomsday Bären-Thread asdf
asdf:

x

01.07.06 15:33
Statistisch lag ich mit meinen Erwartungen in der Vergangenheit allerdings häufiger richtig als falsch.

---> das reicht aber nicht um in deine Prognose vertrauen zu haben. wenn der wetterbericht sagt, dass es zu 65 % regnet, dann bedeutet das nicht das geringste: entweder es regent oder es regnet nicht.
Kannst du mir folgen?

greez
Anti Lemming:

Unwägbarkeit

01.07.06 16:14
ist ein Wesenselement jeder Art von Prognose, nicht nur von meiner. Wer behauptet, die Zukunft genau zu kennen, ist ein Stümper. Gute Prognosen machen Fallunterscheidungen für unterschiedliche Szenarien und nennen dazu die jeweils geschätzten Wahrscheinlichkeiten. Es bleibt aber immer bei Schätzungen und Einschätzungen. SICHERE Prognosen kann und wird es NIE geben.

Wer allerdings in der Vergangenheit mit seinen Prognosen zig-mal falsch lag, dessen Rat ist mit entsprechender Vorsicht zu genießen (evtl. ist er ein guter Kontraindikator). Wer behauptet, noch nie falsch gelegen zu haben, der ist ein lächerlicher Lügner.

Zum Wetter: Wer behauptet, dass Wetter sei morgen so wie heute, hat damit übrigens meistens recht: Das trifft statistisch in 85 % der Fälle zu. Der ganze aufgeblasene Wettervorhersage-Apparat mit zig Satelliten, Messstationen und Supercomputern kann die Trefferquote für das Wetter von morgen nur von 85 auf 95 % erhöhen.

Anti Lemming:

FTD: Banken rechnen mit Öl-Preis von 100 Dollar

07.07.06 09:03
Energieagentur befürchtet Ölpreisrekorde
von Claus Hecking (Frankfurt)

Die Internationale Energieagentur (IEA) hält in den kommenden Wochen weitere Rekorde an den Rohölmärkten für möglich. "Wenn es zu großen Hurrikanen kommt oder die geopolitischen Risiken zunehmen, könnten wir noch höhere Preise als bisher sehen", sagte Chefökonom Fatih Birol der FTD.

In der IEA haben sich 26 Verbraucherstaaten des Westens zur Sicherung ihrer Energieversorgung zusammengeschlossen. Erst am Mittwoch waren die Notierungen des Terminkontrakts für die US-Referenzsorte West Texas Intermediate (WTI) auf einen historischen Höchstkurs von 75,40 $ je Barrel (159 Liter) geklettert. Am Donnerstagabend notierte WTI nach durchwachsenen Lagerdaten aus den USA bei 75,15 $ pro Fass.

Birol begründete seine pessimistische Prognose mit der angespannten Fundamentallage der Ölmärkte. "Es gibt drei Hauptgründe für die hohen Preise: Weltweit sind nicht genug Reservekapazitäten bei der Rohölproduktion vorhanden, bei den Raffineriekapazitäten sieht es ebenfalls sehr eng aus - und die globale Ölnachfrage steigt weiter." Hinzu kämen die politischen Spannungen rund um wichtige Förderländer wie Iran, Nigeria, Venezuela und den Irak, die "wie ein Dünger für die Kurse" seien.

IEA erwartet in den kommenden Jahren noch höhere Preise, falls es in näherer Zukunft nicht zu nennenswerten Investitionen in die Erdölproduktion und -verarbeitung kommt. Die Frage, ob dabei die symbolträchtige 100-$-Marke fallen wird, beantwortete Birol nicht. Einen signifikanten Kursrutsch wie nach der zweiten Ölkrise Anfang der 80er Jahre werde es aber keinesfalls geben. Damals sei es noch relativ leicht gewesen, Erdöl in einigen Bereichen wie etwa Kraftwerken durch andere Energieträger zu ersetzen. Heute sei dies anders. "In den vergangenen sechs Jahren kamen 90 Prozent des zusätzlichen Konsums der OECD-Mitgliedsstaaten aus dem Transportsektor - und da gibt es wenig Substitute zum Öl", sagte Birol.

Massive Probleme bei der Benzingewinnung

Zuletzt hatten vor allem Ängste vor möglichen Treibstoffengpässen in den USA die Notierungen nach oben getrieben, nachdem die Benzin-Lagerbestände unter ihren langjährigen Durchschnitt gefallen waren. "Benzin ist in Amerika schon fast wieder so teuer wie kurz nach den Hurrikans", berichtete Tobias Merath, Rohstoffexperte bei Credit Suisse. "Gegenüber dem vergangenen Jahr ist der Preis um rund 40 Prozent gestiegen. Der Verbrauch ist aber seither unverändert hoch geblieben."

Hinzu kommen massive Probleme in der Benzingewinnung. Ein großer Teil der überalterten US-Raffinerien kann ausschließlich schwefelarme Rohöle wie WTI zu Treibstoff verarbeiten. "Das treibt den Preis dieser Sorten noch weiter nach oben", sagte Jochen Hitzfeld, Stratege der HypoVereinsbank.

Nach dem steilen Kursanstieg der vergangenen Wochen hob die US-Investmentbank Goldman Sachs am Donnerstag ihre Marktprognosen deutlich an. Im zweiten Halbjahr werde WTI durchschnittlich 75 $ statt der bisher vorhergesagtenen 70 $ je Fass kosten, hieß es. Ursächlich hierfür seien neben der robusten Nachfrage deutlich steigende Kosten für Personal, Bohrungen und Ausrüstungen. Für das kommende Jahr erwartet Chef-Rohstoffstratege Jeffrey Currie einen durchschnittlichen Kurs von 75,50 $. Allerdings nehmen die Aufwärtsrisiken seiner Einschätzung nach mittlerweile langsam ab, da die Ölindustrie derzeit verstärkt in neue Kapazitäten investiere.

Banken halten 100 $ für möglich

Andere Banken halten im Verlauf der beiden kommenden Jahre sogar dreistellige Notierungen für denkbar. "Wir befinden uns in einem strukturellen Bullenmarkt", sagte Hannes Loacker, Ölanalyst der Raiffeisen Zentralbank. "Wenn es die Konjunktur verkraftet, sind die 100 $ nicht ausgeschlossen." Gerrit Zambo, Ölhändler bei der Bayerischen Landesbank, sekundiert: "Die 100 $ können tatsächlich eintreffen. Der Markt ist angstgetrieben, aber aus technischer Sicht ist die Preisentwicklung der vergangenen Jahre gesund." Seit 2002 sei der Markt kontinuierlich nach oben geklettert und habe dabei oft konsolidiert - allerdings fast immer auf einem höheren Kursniveau als bei der vorhergegangenen Korrektur.

"Der Markt testet, welchen Preis die Weltwirtschaft verkraftet", erklärte Hitzfeld diese stufenartige Kursbewegung. Solange sich keine nachhaltige Schwächung der Konjunktur abzeichne, sei ein Ende der Dauer-Hausse nicht zu erwarten.
Anti Lemming:

Der faule Geruch von Stagflation

08.07.06 18:29
Market Features
What a Week: Foul Odor
By Nat Worden
TheStreet.com Staff Reporter
7/7/2006 5:46 PM EDT

When the week's market action culminated Friday with a jobs report sprinkled with hints of the hated "s-word," traders were left with little to do but sell.

Stagflation, a period of rising interest rates in a slowing economy, remains a threat to the stock market as a possible hangover after the long period of record-low interest rates in the early part of this decade. Easy credit powered a real estate boom that, with the aid of lower tax rates, gave consumers the spending power to drive economic growth.

But after roughly four years of economic expansion, investors are starting to price in a slowdown, and the slow jobs growth that showed up in Friday's payroll employment report jibed with their concerns. Even worse, stronger-than-expected wage growth played into recent statements from the Federal Reserve about the threat of inflation, and traders were hit with a double-whammy.

The Labor Department said nonfarm payrolls added just 121,000 new jobs in June, short of expectations for about 200,000 jobs; that consensus figure had risen from 160,000 after Wednesday's stronger-than-expected ADP jobs survey. The Labor Department's report paints a picture of an economy that is barely adding enough jobs to keep pace with population growth. May's payrolls were revised upward, but remained weak at 92,000.

In contrast to the slow jobs growth, the government said average hourly earnings rose 0.5%, compared to the 0.1% increase recorded in May. Economists were expecting a tick up to 0.3%. The number ultimately reported gave the market cause for alarm because wage inflation could prompt the Federal Reserve to keep tightening.

In response, the stock market dropped, with the Nasdaq Composite leading the decline, down 25 points, or 1.2%, to 2130. The Dow Jones Industrial Average finished down 135 points, or 1.2%, to 11,091, and the S&P 500 lost 9 points, or 0.7%, to 1265. That left all three indices lower for the week. The Dow lost 60 points, the Nasdaq shed 42 points and the S&P was down 5.

"From 2002 to 2004, I was bullish on stocks because I thought that earnings would be above consensus because things looked like they were going to get stronger," says Subodh Kumar, chief investment strategist with CIBC world markets. "Now, I'm concerned -- not because we're facing recession. I think the momentum peak has come and gone, and we'll soon start to see things like earnings come in weaker than expected."

Indeed, warnings of lower-than-expected second-quarter sales from 3M (MMM) and AMD (AMD) , as well as disappointing same-store sales growth at Starbucks (SBUX) contributed to the negativity on Friday.

In the end, it was a bad week for a stock market that recently roared back to life on hopes the Fed might soon pause its tightening campaign. Instead, Friday's session joined a series of recent selloffs that has many investors preparing for a bear market. The turmoil began when the Fed made a more-hawkish-than-expected statement on May 10, which was followed by similar rhetoric from chairman Ben Bernanke and other policymakers. In hindsight, the June 30 FOMC statement may have been an anomaly or misinterpreted by traders who've long wished for an end to the Fed's rate hikes.

"The markets would like to see some clarity in terms of Fed and central bank policy, but I think the indications are that monetary policy is going to be tighter," Kumar says. "Central banks are trying to avoid a situation like the 1970s when the Fed procrastinated on raising rates, and the result was a terrible period of sky-high rates and a weak economy."

Central banks in China and Japan are indicating their policy is going to focus on slowing growth, while the European Central Bank made some hawkish comments regarding inflation this week. The Bank of Japan is expected to raise rates for the first time in six years at its policy meeting next week.

Kumar recently raised the bond weighting in his portfolio for the first time in five years, moving away from the stock market.

"The cyclical areas of the stock market are less interesting to me now," he says. "The question is: Do we move into quality growth stocks, or do we go straight for defensive sectors? I think it's too early for that."

To be sure, Kumar is not all doom and gloom, but he does say the "big dynamic upswing" in stocks that took place between 2002 and 2005 is over. Now he puts fair value on the S&P at 1300 and predicts the equity markets will continue to oscillate around that mark -- moving sideways.

There are reasons for optimism, however. General Motors (GM) , coming out of a nightmarish stretch last year that made "bankruptcy" a household word, is leading the Dow's gains this year. Its shares are up 55% for the year, and it added to those gains Friday when its chairman and chief executive, Richard Wagoner, agreed to explore a potential landmark deal to partner with Nissan and Renault.

Having already made better-than-expected progress on shaving down its bloated cost structure with one of the largest employee buyouts in U.S. corporate history, GM's willingness to explore this deal was welcomed by investors as a sign the automaker is ready to get creative. As one of the largest corporate bond issuers in the world, it was a major concern for the financial markets before there was light shining on its horizons.

Meanwhile, corporate earnings have posted double-digit gains for the past dozen quarters. Consumers have proved resilient amid a chorus of negative predictions, and even the softening housing market has shown signs that it may still have some fight.

James Paulsen, chief investment strategist with Wells Capital Management, says investors have been ignoring the Labor Department's household employment survey to their detriment. Economists have long pointed to payrolls as a more reliable statistic, but Paulsen says the impressively low U.S. unemployment rate of 4.6% is a more accurate reflection of reality.

"The whole world is ignoring [the household survey] and all the other signs of strength out there," says Paulsen. "We do have some inflation going on. Wages are climbing. That's happening because the job market still has strength, and the [payroll survey] is an incorrect portrayal of the job market."

He sees gains for stocks and bonds, even as the Fed continues to rein in credit.

But skeptics point to another soft month for retail sales in June, with RetailMetrics LLC reporting that its index tracking same-store sales at over 60 major retailers showed a 2.8% increase for the month, missing its previous forecast that called for a 3% gain. Wal-Mart's (WMT) 1.2% June same-store sales growth was particularly uninspiring.

On Monday, the government said construction spending dropped unexpectedly during the month by 0.4%. Also, the Institute for Supply Management reported this week that its manufacturing index came in weaker than expected at 53.8; its service index also missed the mark at 57.

But signs of economic slowing are contradicted by the rising cost of raw materials. With crude futures hitting a record of $75.55 a barrel Wednesday, inflationary pressures and the Fed's plan to quash them remain a sticking point.

"Many companies have implemented big price increases to try to pass on higher cost increases," says Margie Patel, portfolio manager with Pioneer Investments. "All the price increases that are coming out of companies that have pretty good businesses say to me that we're going to have continued pressure."
Der Doomsday Bären-Thread Kicky
Kicky:

Steuereinkommen reduziert Defizit

09.07.06 08:50
The White House on Tuesday is expected to say that tax receipts are about $250 billion higher than they were a year ago, rising twice as fast as the administration forecast, the New York Times reported Saturday.
As a result, the budget deficit will be about $100 billion less than the White House predicted six months ago, the paper said.
The tax receipt windfall has been building for months, but its size and effect on the deficit surprised budget analysts, given the high costs for the war in Iraq and hurricane relief.
Congressional analysts told the Times that the greater-than-expected tax receipts could cut the deficit to $300 billion this year from $318 billion a year ago.
Corporate taxes that have nearly tripled since 2003, executive bonuses, and higher individual taxes on stock market profits are fueling the spike in tax revenue, the paper reported.marketwatch.com
The Congressional Budget Office said Friday that corporate tax receipts rose 26% for the nine months ending in June compared with the year-ago period. End of Story  
Der Doomsday Bären-Thread sparki
sparki:

housingbubble usa

09.07.06 22:19
hallo mädels und jungs,

verfolge den immomarkt in den usa seit 18 monaten und habe und meine erfahrungen und anmerkungen in nem blog verfaßt.

www.immoblasen.blogspot.com/

gruß
sparki

sparki:

korrektur

09.07.06 22:40
richtig ist

immoblasen.blogspot.com/
sparki:

korrektur

09.07.06 22:44
habe nebenbei das elferschiessen geguckt.

sorry. jetzt ist es richtig

immobilienblasen.blogspot.com/
Anti Lemming:

Wie die Fraktionen heute ticken...

11.07.06 16:22

Cody Willard Blog
Which Way the Gangs Are Leaning
By Cody Willard
7/11/2006 9:40 AM EDT

As we enter the second quarter's earnings season, tensions in the market are escalating. I often highlight the fallacies of pigeonholing. Whether it's of people, market caps or sectors, pigeonholing blinds us to opportunities and is a lazy way to make sense of complex systems. That said, not all pigeonholing is wrong; we can usefully define groups based on their decisions. Permabears, bears, bulls, permabulls, daytraders and momentum chasers are made and not born, we market participants are prime for some pigeonholing. It helps us get into the heads of market participants, which is indeed important. So anyway, here's how I'd break down the market participants:

The permabears are finally growling and shorting this market. "The end of the bull market is already upon us," they say.

The bears, the non-perma kind who are willing to be flexible -- you didn't think all bears are stuck in the "day of doom is coming so don't be long anything!" line of thinking, did you? -- have scaled out of anything but their most coveted longs and are actively shorting this market, especially tech stocks.

The bulls are scared, and have been selling technology hard because "stocks don't lie." Because tech is bumbling along at new lows, the bulls are convincing themselves that The Wall Street Journal and other mainstream media outlets are right that we should avoid "risky" assets and focus on "safety." How cyclicals like energy and other commodity companies get included in that group is beyond me, but I digress.

The permabulls are fully invested, having deployed all their cash in the first leg down at some point in May. Now they can only buy more by selling another position. Many are indeed scaling out of tech and into "safer" areas.

Daytraders are frustrated by the market's recent randomness, which has indeed seemed more random than just the normal randomness associated with any near-term market. Frustrated is the operative word there.

Momentum chasers have been crushed this year and they are flailing. But they remain convinced that this downturn is only a temporary setback for their stocks and that the fundamentals out there are strong and poised to continue booming.

It's a tough setup from which to decipher much in the way of meaningful market conclusions. I tend to think the bears are pressing things right now and that the bulls are overly fearful, which is why I've put on my small Nasdaq 100 Unit Trust (QQQQ) trade. But as the small relative size of the position belies, I have little faith in that analysis, in large part because the crosscurrents and positioning from my stereotyped market participants isn't exactly screaming "a capitulation is in and the bears are leaning the wrong way at the wrong time."

The upshot: It's been a tough, tough market to trade successfully for the last two months, and that's still how I see it. So I remain of the mindset that it's better to tread lightly if at all than to make big bets and go for the gusto at this juncture.

At the time of publication, the firm in which Willard is a partner was net long QQQQ, although positions can change at any time and without notice.

Cody Willard is the manager of a hedge fund

Anti Lemming:

Das "dead cross" im S&P-500

15.07.06 09:07

...kommt, wenn die 50-Tage-Linie die 200-Tage-Linie nach unten durchkreuzt. Beim Nasdaq ist das schon geschehen.

Technical Analysis
Charts Don't Watch the Evening News
By Mark Manning
7/14/2006 2:03 PM EDT

Commentators have been blaming the messy market action on violence in the Middle East, terrorism, oil, the Federal Reserve, the weather and any other news event that comes along.

Here is what you need to know as an investor: The current action has classic bear market characteristics -- don't let anyone tell you anything different.

You won't hear this type of talk from the media until the S&P 500 is down at least 20%. My responsibility to my readers is to cut through all the garbage out there, all the short-term predictions, and give you a clear-cut view of the condition of the market so you can protect your capital. If we do that effectively, the profits will follow.

I'll acknowledge that we are so oversold and negative that we are due for another sharp bounce. But in bear markets, quick bounces are opportunities to continue to raise cash. When we get a real turn in the market, we will have plenty of time to reposition on the long side. Bull markets don't last for a few weeks -- they last for months and years.

When we are close to a bottom, the market will start to refuse to go down, or go up on negative news. You will also start to see better advance/decline numbers. Then you will have a sustainable bottom.

Be careful when looking at overbought and oversold indicators -- it's important to understand that they work differently in bear markets. They can give you indications of a possible bounce and some assistance in identifying a bottom, but they are better geared for buy and sell signals in bull markets. I think they are most useful at extreme readings.

Steer clear of commentators who keep trying to call tops and bottoms. These people buried investors in the last bear market, and they will bury investors this time around. There is a saying that the only people who can call a top or bottom are lying or lucky. No one has a crystal ball, and no one can predict for sure what will happen six months from now.

The bottom line is to avoid people like this; they are playing an amateur game that will cost you your hard-earned cash. Let the market be your guide, and you will be way ahead of these so-called professionals. The market is speaking very clearly right now -- pay attention!

On Tuesday, my partner and I thought the charts were showing great short opportunities. Look at how most of the following charts broke their 50- and 200-day moving averages, rallied back up to where the first break happened at the 50-day and then rolled off that area and began to plunge. This is a classic bear market pattern: quick, short runups that suck you in and then crush you. You can't get a better short in a market or stock than this.

I have pointed to these areas of resistance in past columns as a second chance to exit the market if you hadn't already done so.

Look at the Dow, the S&P 500, mid-caps and small-caps.

Der Doomsday Bären-Thread 2675748

I thought Tuesday that we might get a few days of reprieve through a bear market rally in the semiconductors and the overall market. Tuesday we had a key reversal in the averages, but it was without the normal volume that usually accompanies such a move. However, it looked like we were going to get some upside testing. Unfortunately, it was just a trap that sucked in the bulls.

I almost took a few short-term long trades Friday morning to try to catch a couple of percentage points. I didn't do it because I have a rule to never buy before 11 a.m. unless I'm playing a sharp overnight reaction. It is a rule that has consistently kept me out of trouble.

On Monday, I wrote that the transports had probably put in a double top. The action Thursday pretty much confirms that. They lost 2.71% in one of the day's worst performances.

The Nasdaq 100 is still leading the market lower. One day technology and the semiconductors are going to stage a significant bounce from their extremely oversold condition. The negativity and waterfall drop will eventually give in to bottom-fishers.

Higher oil prices and inflation will eventually hit the consumer, and you can see that the retailers are clearly projecting a slowdown in the economy and in consumer spending.

I warned in May that the emerging markets were some of the most dangerous places to be. I continue to believe that this is a high-risk position. I said in past columns that a bounce in the 95 to 100 area would give investors another chance to exit before a new leg down. On Thursday, we got confirmation of that new leg. Look at the increasing volume as the iShares MCSI Emerging Markets Fund (EEM) pierces the 200-day moving average.

No one likes bull markets more than I. I hate focusing on the negative action. However, it is important that we protect you from taking unnecessary risks and losing your hard-earned money. I've been recommending a high level of cash for months, and I continue to believe that's the right stance.

An easy rule to follow is to have a large percentage in cash when the general market is below the 200-day moving average. This rule can save you a lot of frustration.

Mark Manning, AAMS, is an Accredited Asset Management Specialist and Registered Investment Advisor with Butler, Wick & Co., where he specializes in wealth management. Under no circumstances does the information in this column represent a recommendation to buy or sell stocks.
Der Doomsday Bären-Thread Platschquatsch
Platschquatsc.:

US-Firmenchefs kaufen eigene Aktien

17.07.06 14:35
HANDELSBLATT, Montag, 17. Juli 2006, 11:00 Uhr
Legaler Insiderhandel gibt Signal für steigende Kurse

US-Firmenchefs kaufen eigene Aktien
Von Anette Kiefer

Folgt man den Kaufentscheidungen von US-Managern, so geht es an der Börse bergauf. Denn im Juni haben so viele Führungskräfte Aktien der eigenen Firma zugekauft wie noch nie in einem Juni, was als gutes Zeichen gilt.
HOUSTON. Außerdem liegt das Verhältnis von legalen Insiderverkäufen zu Käufen bei einem Rekordtief von nur 16:1, ermittelte der Finanzdienst Thomson Financial. Jeder Wert unter 20:1 gilt als Zeichen für einen Börsenaufschwung. Denn wegen der zahlreichen Aktienoptionsprogramme verkaufen Manager immer sehr viel mehr als sie zukaufen.
„In den vergangenen zwei Jahren gab es eine starken Übereinstimmung zwischen dem Insiderkauf- und-Verkaufsverhältnis über acht Wochen und dem Kursverlauf in den darauf folgenden acht Wochen“, sagt Bernd Meyer von der Deutschen Bank. In Europa liegen Insiderkäufe auf einem Zweijahreshoch, wie eine Studie der Deutschen Bank zeigt.
Die Zukäufe gelten als wichtiges Marktbarometer. „Insiderverkäufe sind dagegen im allgemeinen kein besonders zuverlässiges Signal für den Anleger, dass er seine Aktien abstoßen sollte“, sagt Analyst Henry McVey von Morgan Stanley. „Denn dafür kann es eine ganze Reihe von Gründen geben. Man muss sich nur einmal vor Augen führen, dass innerhalb der vergangenen drei Jahre bei 98 Prozent aller S&P-Unternehmen Insiderverkäufe vorgekommen sind.“

Dagegen horchen die Investoren auf, wenn leitende Angestellte oder Großinvestoren ihren Bestand aufstocken. Im Juni war dies etwa beim Uhren- und Trendschmuckladen Fossil der Fall, wo Geschäftsführer Tom Kartsotis eigene Aktien zukaufte. Mehrere Topleute des Heimwerkermarkts Lowe’s vergrößerten ebenfalls ihren Besitz. Als einer der wichtigsten Einkäufe des Monats gilt Aubrey McClendons Schachzug: Der Chef des S&P-500-notierten Energiehändlers Chesapeake Energy gab 32 Mill. Dollar für eigene Aktien aus. Seine Kollegen bei Konkurrenten kauften ebenfalls kräftig, so dass die Energiebranche mit dem Konsumgütersektor die Liste der Insiderkäufe anführt.
Insbesondere für den Energiebereich ist dies ein gutes Zeichen, sagt Henry McVey. Denn über einen Zeitraum von drei Jahren stellte sich heraus, dass hier Vorstandsvorsitzende und Großanleger die beste Nase besitzen, wenn es um den richtigen Kaufzeitpunkt geht. In fast 70 Prozent aller Fälle legte der Aktienkurs nach ihrem Kauf zu, und binnen Jahresfrist hatten sie im Durchschnitt knapp 46 Prozent Gewinn gemacht.
Vorsicht ist dagegen in einigen Branchen geboten, so Manager in den vergangenen Jahren ein schlechtes Gespür bewiesen haben. In einigen Fällen sackte der Aktienkurs nach Großeinkäufen der Insider so stark ab, „dass wir nur eine Erklärung dafür finden können: Die Chefetagen haben versucht, durch gezielte Einkäufe Vertrauen zu gewinnen“, sagt Henry McVey. Am schlechtesten investierten die Insider von Auto-, Biotechnologie- und Pharmafirmen, wo die Kurse binnen Jahresfrist dem S&P-500-Index um durchschnittlich 19 Prozent hinterherhinkten.
Anti Lemming:

Mehr als ein Dead-Cat Bounce ist nicht drin

18.07.06 14:14

Technical Analysis
A Damaging Mindset Reinforced
By Alan Farley
7/17/2006 11:31 AM EDT

It's hard to find nice things to say about the market after last week's selloff added to the substantial technical damage done in the first quarter. Ominously, the major indices closed at their lows for the second week in a row. This isn't what you want to see if you're hoping that a sharp recovery is just around the corner.

Of course, it doesn't take a genius to call for a relief rally here, given that all the major averages are stretched to the downside. But it's folly to expect anything more than a dead-cat bounce until stocks and indices take time to build stable basing patterns. In the meantime, this market belongs to fast-fingered daytraders and aggressive short-sellers.

Second-quarter earnings will trigger sharp overnight moves for the rest of July. It will be a two-edged sword, depending on which side you've placed your latest bets.

Don't expect good earnings to bail out this beaten-down market after the recent selloff. There isn't anything in these reports that can overcome inflation fears and geopolitical anxiety.

In a column last month, I examined the larger-scale cycles at work in the market. In that analysis, I looked for crossovers in the major indices of the 50-day and 200-day moving averages to confirm a new bear market impulse.

The S&P 500 was the outlier at the time I wrote the column, because its 50-day moving average was trading well above its 200-day MA. That may change soon.

Der Doomsday Bären-Thread 2680425

The 50-day MA now is working its way down to the longer-term 200-day MA at a rapid pace. Like other market players, I hope the index recovers soon, but it would take only a small downdraft from here to trigger they key crossover event. At that point, the S&P 500 would join the Nasdaq indices in signaling the bearish death cross pattern.

Energy markets are the wild card because of the growing divergence between crude oil prices and energy stocks. Crude oil broke out to an all-time high last week and could jump into triple digits by early 2007. But oil and gas stocks just ground sideways during the event, caught in the conflict between rising futures and falling stock exchanges.

The S&P 500 index is heavily weighted in these instruments and would benefit greatly if the oil and gas sector worked its way back to new highs this summer. But the outlook is currenlty clouded. While energy stocks should eventually play catch-up, the current patterns still look confused and uncertain.

The Oil Services HOLDRs (OIH) dropped like a rock after hitting an all-time high in early May. Its chart looks similar to those of other commodity-related instruments that fell out of bed at that time. The group shows a limited recovery in the last two months and is now trading at the midpoint between the highs and lows of the spring selloff.

The Amex Oil Index (XOI) has a friendlier appearance than the oil services sector. The instrument tested its May high last week in a resurgence lead by blue-chip refiners. The good news is the pattern has obvious potential for a run to new highs in the next few weeks. That breakout could lift the entire complex and initiate a very strong uptrend.

An energy sector buying surge would have a sharp impact on the S&P 500 and raise hopes that the broader market was engaged in a recovery. But that rally would also renew debate about the unlikelihood of a bull market in a world in which gasoline costs five bucks per gallon. In any case, the breakout might put a floor under the market until the third quarter.

Most discussions about summer recoveries avoid any references to the technology sector. There's an obvious reason for this curious omission. The Nasdaq Composite and the tech sector already have arrived in clear and undeniable bear market cycles. Let's review this unpleasant state of affairs in two ways, one obvious and one not so obvious.

The Nasdaq Composite now sits at the same level it traded at during the first week of 2004. This flat line translates into 30 months with no upward progress at all. Of course, the tech sector still has a huge fan base that jumps on all group downturns. Look for these stubborn folks to continue to feel the pain, just like they did in the last bear market.

And things are getting even worse in the chip sector, which is now trading at mid-2003 price levels. That brings me to my less-obvious observation about this tech bear market: Did you see the Philadelphia semiconductor index (SOX) turn green several times last week, right in the middle of the most potent selling impulses? Does this remind you of anything in particular? 

That's right, we saw the identical phenomenon during the 2000-02 bear market, when vertical chip-stock squeezes would balance out the tape whenever short-sellers got too aggressive. Back then, you could pick out a squeeze just by watching KLA-Tencor (KLAC) about 15 minutes into the opening of a down day.

Clearly, it will take a tremendous amount of buying pressure to overcome the selling mentality infecting the markets. Multiple rally failures since May have reinforced this damaging mindset, ensuring that future upticks will be sold aggressively, . It will take nothing less than a macro event, like world peace or lower interest rates, to come to the market's rescue and bail out the upside.

At the time of publication, Farley had no positions in the stocks mentioned, although holdings can change at any time.  Alan Farley is a professional trader and author of The Master Swing Trader. Farley also runs a Web site called HardRightEdge.com, an online resource for trading education, technical analysis and short-term investment strategies.

Anti Lemming:

...und Recht hatte er...

18.07.06 19:55
Anti Lemming:

Bernanke wurschtelt sich durch

20.07.06 12:15
FTD  20.7.06
Das Kapital
Bernanke verlegt sich aufs Durchwurschteln

An der Marktreaktion gemessen, war das wohl die erste erfolgreiche Rede von Ben Bernanke.

Der Tenor des Fed-Chefs kommt einem bekannt vor. Wenn schon der Immobilienmarkt abschmiert und der Arbeitsmarkt ohnehin schwächelt, dann kann man der auf Vermögenspreisinflation und Kreditexpansion beruhenden US-Wirtschaft nicht auch noch einen fallenden Aktienmarkt zumuten. Wie Alan Greenspan zu seinen besten Zeiten.

Nach Bernankes Bemerkungen, dass man nun erst mal abwarten müsse, was die bisherigen Zinserhöhungen noch alles so anrichten, notieren sowohl amerikanische als auch europäische Aktien wieder höher als Ende 2005. Was soll's, dass die US-Verbraucherpreise über die vergangenen drei Monate mit einer annualisierten Rate von 5,1 Prozent zulegten?

Für die Anleger kommt es nun darauf an, ob die am Markt vorherrschende These stimmt, dass die USA bloß eine für die Mitte des Zyklus typische Wachstumsdelle durchlaufen. Wenn dem so ist, gibt das nun wohl endgültig bevorstehende Ende des US-Zinszyklus ganz klar den Startschuss für eine Rally am Aktienmarkt.

Aber ist das ein normaler Zyklus, der einer geplatzten Blase folgt und durch eine Zinssenkung um 5,5 Prozentpunkte, eine Dollarabwertung zum Euro von 0,83 auf bis zu 1,36 $/Euro und eine Budgetverschlechterung von bis zu 6,6 Prozent des BIP ausgelöst wurde? In dessen Zuge die Schulden der nichtfinanziellen Sektoren um 8816 Mrd. $ stiegen, die Hauspreise viermal so schnell zulegten wie die Stundenlöhne, die private Sparquote um fast vier Prozentpunkte auf minus 1,7 Prozent absackte, das Leistungsbilanzdefizit um gut zwei Prozentpunkte auf 6,4 Prozent des BIP schwoll?

Die Anleger dürften höchstens hoffen, dass sich die USA fürs Erste weiter durchwurschteln, also noch mehr Schulden machen. Gesagt ist das aber nicht. Und wohin das langfristig führt, kann man an einer Hand abzählen.

Seite: Übersicht ... 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 ... ZurückZurück WeiterWeiter

Börsenforum - Gesamtforum - Antwort einfügen - zum ersten Beitrag springen

Neueste Beiträge aus dem BP plc Forum

Wertung Antworten Thema Verfasser letzter Verfasser letzter Beitrag
57 19.115 BP Group B.Helios Xodus 12.04.24 15:36
  43 BP im Wandel Tom1313 Tom1313 02.08.22 08:44
80 3.606 von nun an gings bergauf 123p 123p 05.12.21 09:12
5 170 BP on the long run 850517 Blackadder Blackadder 25.04.21 13:27
2 143 Ist BP unterbewertet? Salim R. HSO50 25.04.21 03:50

--button_text--