Reports to the President and CEO.
ARISE is a Canadian-based public solar technology company whose goal is to help solar energy become a cost-effective, mainstream energy solution. The ARISE team includes strategic partners and advisors from around the world.
ARISE Technologies is located in Waterloo, Ontario, the high technology capital of Canada. Waterloo is a 45 minute drive from the city of Toronto, Ontario.
The ARISE PV Technology Division is developing a leading, market-focused, high-efficiency solar cell based proprietary patented technology. ARISE works in close partnership with a number of leading research institutes and has been funding a PV project at the University of Toronto since 2002. A key element of this research is a patented deposition process (DC saddle field) used to apply thin-film amorphous silicon to crystalline silicon wafers. The result is high efficiency (18%) heterojunction PV cells with an initial target of 18% and plans to become a "high efficiency" leader.
The organization is evolving from being solely a system integrator/distributor focused on the Ontario market, to a manufacturer of proprietary high-efficiency heterojunction solar cells with a global focus.
ARISE is well positioned to deliver dramatic growth over the next year and beyond. The key growth factors are expected to be a ramp up in PV cell production capacity at its German manufacturing plant to 80MW by mid-2009 and 560Mv by the end of 2012 (with targeted efficiency increasing from 15% to 22%).
ARISE began building a new PV cell manufacturing plant in Bischofswerda, Germany in August of 2007. The facility went from concept to production within 24 months. The two story, 100,000 square foot building sits on 32 acres of land.
ARISE plans to scale up the German plant in phases. The initial production line is already in place and currently relies on standard, off-the-shelf technology to produce 15% efficiency cells. Thereafter, various proprietary technologies (of which DC saddle field is one) will be added to subsequent lines in phases with a goal to produce 22% efficiency cells by 2012.
Over the last twelve years, the PV industry has seen a compound annual growth rate of 40%. ARISE’s high-efficiency strategy and positioning positions the organization for success on a global basis.
ARISE is an acronym for:
* Appropriate energy solutions that provide comfort and are practical
* Renewable energy solutions that work with nature
* Intelligent energy solutions through proven innovations
* Sustainable energy solutions that reinvest in natural capital
* Energy continuously available for personal comfort and lifestyle
The Vice President PV R&D will lead the engineering and development activities of ARISE Technologies’ PV division. He/she will be responsible for all development and commercialization of the organization’s proprietary PV technology on a global basis. The Vice President Engineering will:
* Drive product development to establish ARISE Technologies as an industry leader in the development of innovative advanced PV technology. He/she will ensure that creative, high quality development, and engineering results in the creation of market-leading products.
* Deliver the commercialization plan and new market entry strategies.
* Oversee the development of key processes to accelerate product development and commercialization, to shorten the timeframe to bring new products to market within well-defined budgets, and enhance the net return to the company.
* Develop and enhance key strategic relationships with institutes, government, and vendors and establish specific channel strategies; set targets and measure achievements, making recommendations with regards to variances.
* For each new technology application, ensure operating strategies are in place and communicated to maintain the company’s product position and to facilitate the growth and expansion goals consistent with the strategic plan.
* Promote and build relationships with suppliers and subcontractors and foster a seamless interaction among all parties.
* Together with colleagues on the senior management team, develop long and short term strategic plans required to properly assess opportunities.
* Develop and implement the staffing plan for the Engineering and Development functions that will ensure the development of world-class skill competency.
Year One Critical Success Factors
* Year one: Develop the roadmap for the development of the new proprietary technology.
* Begin to implement commercialization of the technology.
* Traditional PV, thin-film PV, semiconductor, flat-panel, disk drive, or other thin-film or equipment vendors.
* Minimum 10 years of deep technical experience with success in managing the engineering and product development functions of a PV company or business division transitioning from start-up to full commercialization. International experience would be an asset.
* He/she has achieved senior levels of responsibility during his or her career, including managing a significant team of engineers and developers, and views this as an opportunity to move into a small company with the potential to dramatically affect the solar industry. It will be critical for this person to see the potential of the Company and be excited about being involved in this unique opportunity.
* Experience working in a multi-business/multi-plant/multi-country enterprise.
* Experience in product development cycles and processes.
* Thorough knowledge, understanding of and deep relationships with the vendor/supplier community.
* Solid networking and relationship-building abilities and demonstrated ability to develop and maintain trust with strategic partners, suppliers, and customers.
* Demonstrated capacity to expand and/or build relationships with the research institutes in Canada and abroad. Must have managed some development efforts with the universities and/or institutes.
* Ability to develop and implement strategies and tactics to move new technology from innovation to commercialization.
* Superior strategic capabilities; able to develop thoughtful, creative, and effective strategic plans for the short and long-term growth of the business.
* Understanding of relevant technology and its applications.
* Does not need the security/support of a large organization to take action; has demonstrated success in a small entrepreneurial environment; enjoys seeing the results of his/her efforts and can accept the visibility of their assumed responsibilities.
* Significant experience in a large company and ability to bring discipline and develop process parameter in an organization with several hundred technological staff.
* Comfortable with the "ambiguity" associated with a smaller company in a dynamic and rapidly expanding marketplace for solar power.
* Experienced high growth situations and effective via leveraging.
* Possesses a high energy level, sense of urgency, crisp and focused communication style, decisiveness, and the superior intellect of a motivated self-starter; productive, accurate, and calm under stress of heavy workloads; is tough-minded and thick-skinned; can make difficult decisions quickly and accept constructive feedback.
* A professional of unquestionable integrity, credibility and character, who has demonstrated high moral and ethical behavior.
* German and other languages.
* Creating the New and Different- Is able to come up with the next great breakthrough thing to do; is creative, a visionary, and can manage innovation; is an effective strategist full of ideas and possibilities; sees multiple futures; has broad interests and knowledge; can both create and bring exciting ideas to market; comfortable speculating about alternative futures without all of the data.
* Dealing with Trouble- Fearlessly takes on all issues, challenges, and people; comfortably confronts and works through conflict; delivers negative feedback and messages without hesitation; deals promptly and fairly with problem performers; lets everyone know where they stand; thrives in crises and is energized by tough challenges; not afraid to make negative decisions and take tough action; challenges the status quo.
* Getting Organized- Is well organized, resourceful, and planful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
* Getting Work Done Through Others- Manages people well; gets the most and best out of the people he/she has; sets and communicates guiding goals; measures accomplishments, holds people accountable, and gives useful feedback; delegates and develops; keeps people informed; provides coaching for today and for the future.
* Keeping on Point- Can quickly separate the mission-critical from the nice to dos and the trivial; quickly senses what's the next most useful thing to work on; focuses on the critical few tasks that really add value and puts aside or delays the rest.
* Making Complex Decisions- Can solve even the toughest and most complex of problems; great at gleaning meaning from whatever data is available; is a quick study of the new and different; adds personal wisdom and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution, given the situation; uses multiple problem-solving tools and techniques.
* Managing Diverse Relationships- Relates well to a wide variety of diverse styles, types, and classes; open to differences; effective up, down, sideways, inside, and outside; builds diverse networks; quick to find common ground; treats differences fairly and equitably; treats everyone as a preferred customer.
* Managing Work Processes- Is an effective process, work flow, and systems designer; is good at figuring out what to measure to track progress; sets up systems that can almost manage themselves; is a master at the effectiveness and efficiency of work systems; can quickly diagnose and fix a work flow problem; always looking for incremental process improvement.
The successful candidate will have an engineering degree; an MBA and/or a graduate degree would be considered an asset. German and English speaking an asset.
A competitive compensation package, including base salary, bonus, and equity, as well as benefits, will be provided.
Within Waterloo or Germany and a willingness to travel regularly between the two countries.