The MDI Group of Companies are involved in Research and Development of new technologies, and, Production Concepts for sustainable energy source without any pollution. MDI has already registered several patents for the Compressed Air Engines developed by its research department, which has focused on improving the efficiency of the engines.
MDI has also developed an Industrial Concept whereby Turnkey Factories can be set up to manufacture the cars in local areas where the cars will eventually be sold. So far, the development has resulted in a range of products that include:
- An Urban Transport System
- Pallet Trucks and Tractors for the use of Industries
- Power Generator Units
all, operating completely pollution free !
Guy NEGRE, the CEO founder of MDI Group, is an Aeronautics Engineer and a trained engine manufacturer. From the earliest time in his career, he has focused his research on improving efficiency of engines. Amongst his many accomplishments the most prominent are the development of a rotary distributor for the R8 GORDINI which developed 152 hp at 11,000 rpm, engine of civil aviation, and, the development of a 3.5L W12 engine for Formula 1 towards the end of the eighties. It is around that time, in view of the environmental issues, that he decided to do something about saving the planet and became interested in developing a zero pollution engine and eventually established, in 1991, the company now known as the MDI Group.
- 1991 : Motor Development International, SA established and registered.
- 1996 : First Compressed Air Engine developed.
- 1998 : First Taxi running on Compressed Air introduced.
- 1999 : The MDI Industrial Concept created.
- 2000 : MDI moved to their present site in Carros.
- 2002 : The device for stopping pistons at top dead centre developed.
- 2004 : A new Compressed Air Engine, Type-41 Mono and Dual-Energy, developed capable of operating using various additives.
- 2005 : The Active Chamber, a device that significantly improves engine efficiency, developed.
|Compressed Air Engines|
More than ten years of research and development in the field of Compressed Air Technology (CAT) has yielded CATs Type-41 engines of two categories. The Mono-Energy engines, which can drive a vehicle “completely clean” with “zero pollution”, operating in urban areas using compressed air only. Whereas, the Dual-Energy engines, using supplementary energy source of minimum quantity of either fossil fuels (petrol, diesel or LPG) or biofuels (vegetable oil, alcohol, biodiesel or even gas), producing ultra-low level of pollution, in non-urban or rural areas, require :
- Less than 2 litres per 100 kilometres (over 140 miles per gallon) in non-urban areas.
- Zero Nitrogen Oxides.
- Three to 4000 times less un-burnt hydrocarbon than a conventional car engine.
- Three times less Carbon Dioxide emission than a conventional car engine of same power.
Based on this new Technology, MDI is now in the process of developing a “thermodynamic concept” that will enhance these results even further, over the next ten years, thus initiating a genuine energy revolution.
The MDI Engines are protected by many patents registered worldwide. They consist of an active chamber and are made up of modules of two opposing cylinders. These modules can be coupled to make groups of 4 or 6 cylinders for a wide range of uses from 4 to 75 hp in the following applications :
MDI CityCATs and MiniCATs Clean Cars
The MDI MultiCATs Urban Transport System
Electricity Power Generators and Emergency Generators
Tow Tractors, Pallet Trucks and Hoists
Light Aircraft Engines and APU units
MDI also intends to continue developing high-power engines (200 hp and above) for buses and trucks.
Type 41 engine